In 2015, a climatologist named Brian B. created a 70-degree Road Trip map shared over 10 million times over various platforms. He routed three road trips that chase 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius) weather all year long.
A few quick notes
Before I jump into the route, I want to point out that you don’t have to do this entire year-long road trip to make use of the following information. You can use the route as a reference guide for shorter trips.
Simply look at the locations based on the month you’re traveling and you can plan your road trip based on a segment of this trip. That way, you can enjoy 70-degree weather whenever you want to travel.
Brian B’s map is an overview and not a detailed itinerary. So, I have provided related links and resources for each monthly segment below to help you plan your trip.
Route 3: The United States and Canada Route
This grand, cross-border adventure spans the U.S. and Canada in an incredible 13,996-mile (22,530 km) journey.
Starting in San Diego, California, the United States and Canada Route takes you through the heart of the American Southwest, the charming landscapes of the southern and eastern U.S., the vast wilderness of the Canadian provinces and territories, and the rugged coastline of western Canada.
The route returns you to the United States continuing down through where the West meets the Midwest to the southern states. Finally, you conclude your amazing journey in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Kick off your adventure in San Diego, California and stay on I-8 as you make your way to the sun-drenched city of Phoenix, Arizona.
Mileage: 357 miles
- Temecula Valley: Historic Old Town, Wine Country and More
- California Missions: San Antonio de Pala Asistencia
- Out and About In Southern California
- Desert Solitude: Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
- Pinal County: Exploring the Heart of Southern Arizona
- 15 Amazing Places to Discover in Phoenix
- Explore Phoenix Naturally
Follow I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson, Las Cruces, and El Paso. Immerse yourself in the unique cultures and mesmerizing landscapes of the American Southwest.
Mileage: 384 miles
- Family-friendly Road Trips Through Arizona: Phoenix and Tucson
- Explore Tucson Naturally
- The Old Pueblo: Tucson
- Las Cruces: Outdoor Adventure & Rich History
- Top Reasons to Visit Las Cruces
- La Mesilla: Where History and Culture Become an Experience
- A White Oasis: White Sands National Park
Drive from El Paso along state roads toward Wichita Falls, Texas, and continue through extreme southern and eastern Oklahoma. Enjoy the beautiful and varied landscapes along the way. (Starting this month, you’ll need to start covering more ground every month to keep up with the 70-degree weather.)
Mileage: 991 miles
- Texas Road Trips Sampler
- Sand Surfer: Ride the Dunes at Monahans Sandhills State Park
- The Caverns of Sonora: Its Beauty Can Not be Exaggerated, Even by Texans
- Texas Hill Country Is the Ultimate Road Trip
Head east through the picturesque states of Arkansas and Tennessee into North Carolina before heading up the Blue Ridge Parkway through western Virginia, West Virginia, and finally to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Explore amazing cities and places like Chattanooga, Gatlinburg, Asheville, Roanoke, Monongahela National Forest, and more.
Mileage: 1,328 miles
- Museum of Appalachia: Let the Past Touch Your Soul
- Smoky Mountain Day Trips from Gatlinburg
- Springtime in the Smokies
- Blue Ridge Parkway: America’s Favorite Drive
- Escape to the Blue Ridge: Shenandoah National Park
- The Wild, Wonderful Waters of New River Gorge! Round Out Your Trip with a Visit to Babcock State Park & Glade Creek Grist Mill!
Start eastward in Pennsylvania before looping back to Youngstown and Canton, Ohio. Continue northeast to Chicago, Illinois, and then head north into Wisconsin. Conclude the month in the scenic landscapes of central Minnesota.
Mileage: 1,440 miles
- Ohio Amish Country: It’s About Life…Plain & Simple
- A Window into a Unique World: Amish Life along the Heritage Trail
Get ready to cover a lot of ground this month!
Continuing northward, you reach the international border at International Falls, Minnesota. Follow the highway north to Longbow Lake and then west to Winnipeg and Edmonton on the Yellowhead Highway. Keep heading northeast and then north on smaller highways to Hay River on the shore of Great Slave Lake.
From there, head generally west toward Dawson, Yukon Territory, and the border crossing at the Top of the World Highway. Then make your way to Fairbanks, Alaska.
Mileage: 3,424 miles
- All about Canada, Eh?
- Canadian Border Crossing in an RV: What You Need to Know
- RV To Canada This Summer
From Fairbanks drive south to Anchorage and southeast across the Canadian border. Begin your return to the Lower 48 aiming to finish the month at Prince George, British Columbia.
Mileage: 1,735 miles
From Prince George make your way southeast to Mount Robson Provincial Park and Jasper National Park, south on the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise and Banff National Park, and east to Calgary, Alberta, and cross back into the U.S. near Glacier National Park, Montana.
Mileage: 643 miles
- Land of 41 Breathtaking Waterfalls and Counting
- The Okanagan Valley: A Special Place
- Why You Should Explore the Wines of the Okanagan Valley
- Fort Langley: The Fort, Charming Village, and Movie Set
Now in Montana, hit Yellowstone and then stay on smaller highways that wind through parts of western Wyoming, eastern Idaho, and northeastern Utah. Briefly take I-70 east to the Colorado border.
Mileage: 1,056 miles
- 13 Essential Stops on an RV Tour across Utah
- Spotlight on Utah: Most Beautiful Places to Visit
- If the Outdoors is your Thing, Utah is your Place
- Awesomeness beyond the Mighty 5 in Southern Utah
In Colorado, head southeast on state and U.S. highways into extreme northern New Mexico near Taos. Then head north and northeast to Denver and then east into the plains of eastern Colorado.
Then continue eastward through most of southern Kansas before turning southeast to Little Rock, Arkansas. This is where the route crosses itself from early April.
Mileage: 1,632 miles
- Top 9 Things to See and Do in Santa Fe
- The Amazing Badlands of El Morro and El Malpais National Monuments
- Mesa Verde: A Home in the Cliffs
Travel nearly due east to Jackson, Mississippi then up to Birmingham, Alabama and turn southeast to reach Lake City, Florida.
Mileage: 732 miles
- The Inspirational Transformation of Wetumpka, Alabama
- Experience the Alabama Gulf Coast along the Coastal Connection Scenic Byway
- Beauty, History and Adventure Come Together in Alabama
- Sweet Home Alabama: Mobile
Complete your year-long adventure by driving the final leg from Lake City, Florida to Daytona Beach, Florida where you can relax on the picturesque Atlantic Ocean beaches and reflect on your incredible journey.
Once you’re in Florida, you might as well loop around and continue to enjoy the tropical weather. Travel down Florida’s Atlantic Coast, through the Keys, and back up the Gulf Coast.
Mileage: 187 miles
- Swim with the Manatees of Florida’s Crystal River
- Discover the Wild Side of Florida at Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park
- Myakka River State Park: Place of Abundance Offering Varied Experiences
Shoot for the moon, Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.