Online reservation systems are handy when it comes to plugging in your rig requirements and quickly booking a site. (Ok, maybe if you are tech savvy; is it just me or are some booking systems just downright confusing?!)
Despite our digital world, computers don’t know what kind of site you prefer. Reservation systems only assign sites based on the rig requirements given.
Call the reservation desk to find your perfect RV campsite.
A site may work perfectly for one family but not for another. For example, some may prefer to be in the heart of the action surrounded by exciting amenities such as the campground playground, pool, and clubhouse. Others may have a different experience in mind, perhaps wanting a more secluded and peaceful location. Waterviews or riverfront locations may be a strong desire for others to watch a beautiful sunrise or sunset. On the other hand, this could be a dangerous deal breaker for a family with small children.
The computer system doesn’t know if you’d rather be by the bathhouse, be away from the noisy pool, or prefer more shade than the sun. It simply plops you in the next available site by the RV criteria you’ve entered in the online system.
Related: Finding the Right RV Site
Depending on the RV Park online booking may be the ONLY method for reserving sites. And that would be unfortunate.
If you are unfamiliar with the campground, require specific rig accommodations, have site or amenity preferences that would make or break your stay, or have questions that are not answered on the website, phone the reservation desk and talk to a live human being.
Calling and speaking to an actual person can be the difference between a GREAT camping experience and a disappointing one.
Check out the list of questions below. Some may not apply to you, however, a few listed below may help spark your memory to ask for your next camping trip.
Call the reservation desk and ask these questions to get your ideal site, savings, and campground information for an exceptional experience. Ask all that apply to you. Simply fill in the blanks with your information or preferences.
1. Do you have site availability for the dates ___ (your preferred date of arrival and departure) that can accommodate a ___ (pop up, travel trailer, 5th wheel, Class A, Class B, Class C, big rig, etc.)? My rig requires a site with ___ (30, 50 amp power, sewer, water).
Related: The Best RV Camping November 2022
It may be useful to have your rig requirements and information written down especially for those new to RVing. (After all, that’s a lot of specifications to remember.) That way, the reservation desk can assess all the information given and determine site availability and specific RV accommodations.
2. Do you have pull-through sites/back-in sites/pull-in sites? (Some travelers prefer pull-through for quick and easy departure in the morning. Others may prefer back-in sites given the layout or how their windows face in the rig. Pull-in sites generally are for motorhomes; for example, pulling in a site right on the waterfront.)
3. What are your rates? Do you have season specials, weekly/long term rate plans, RV club membership discounts, or military discounts that would apply to my stay?
4. What is your cancellation policy? (This is always good to know before booking a site so that you’re not left with an unknown cancellation fee if unable to make the trip.)
Related: 9 Things to Consider Before Making an RV Park Reservation
5. Does your campground offer shady spots with tree cover or will my rig be in the sun?
Even if you plan on running your AC, camping in the sun will make for a much hotter experience than you’d find under the natural shade of trees. But at the same time, trees can make for a sticky mess of sap and bird droppings on your RV’s roof. Also, consider that during a severe storm wind can break off large branches with the potential of damage to your RV or toad/tow vehicle.
6. Does your campground have pet restrictions? Are certain breeds excluded? (If you’re traveling with pets, it’s critical that you make sure they’re actually allowed on the property.)
7. Do you have any activities scheduled during our stay?
8. Do you have cable TV?
Related: More Campsites Coming
9. Do you have Wi-Fi? How well does it work? Do you offer a VIP WiFi service/access for those working remotely?
10. Is your pool/spa open?
RVING IS BEING adventurous.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.